Sunday, July 19, 2015

8 Things That Make You Happier (aka attend a TOGA event!)

On Saturday I attended my first TOGA event. No, we didn't wear any togas, although it was so hot it might have been a good idea to keep cool.  This was a gathering of people who have a passion for vintage human powered sewing machines.
We did all the things that research indicates will make you a happier person - click here to read the list from  Time.com website
If the research is accurate, we should all be deliriously happy this week!

Here's the top 8 things:

1. Thank someone. 
A big thank you to Harry and Sharon who hosted the event in their home. We were treated to a viewing of an incredible collection of vintage and people powered sewing machines. Thank you to the people who provided yummy food, and who organized and participated in the raffle and block swap. Thank you to everyone who generously shared their knowledge of and experience with vintage machine maintenance and repairs. And thanks to Marge for the mementos she made for everyone.

2. Spend money on someone else. 
Oh boy did we spend money! On machine parts, and books, and new/old machines, and we bought raffle tickets to support the cost of the event. Technically I guess we spent money on ourselves and funding our fun, but that's okay too :)

3. Give 5 hugs. Done!
There were so many wonderful people to meet. This is Sharon (our hostess), me, and Carol (our organizer). It was fun to put faces to the names of the people from the Treadle On yahoo groups.

4. Do stuff you're good at
Well I'm good at it now, since I have gained the knowledge and experience that the experts shared with me.
Ears up. 
Don't give up - when you're just about ready to quit, it will work!
Grease on gears.
All important tidbits!

5. Do 5 nice things for others
Mostly others were doing nice things for me, but I was nice also! LOL!
How many hands does it take to mount a hand crank? These were just a couple of the hands that worked on this one - many people also gave suggestions.

6. Create something to look forward to
Note to self - attend next year's event!

7. Spend time with friends.
Common interests and values sure make fast friends. I finally met Cheryl, whose blog I have been following for a long time. She came from Illinois to attend the event. Here she is learning how to thread her new/old Betsy Ross miniature hand crank. And it made a perfect chain stitch!


8. Before bed, write down 3 good things that happened today
*safely travelled to Michigan and back, with only a couple of "detours"/being lost!
*met amazing and talented sewing machine experts, and learned some new skills that I've always been interested in!
*saw some of the most beautiful and rare sewing machines on the planet!

I left home with one machine needing repair, and came home with three machines needing repairs. 
How did that happen?!? LOL
That's a whole other story for another day.

14 comments:

Stephie said...

Your last comment made me laugh out loud Kathy! Seriously, how *did* that happen!!! What a wonderful event, you really capture the fun you had and I may be feeling a wee bit jealous! Thanks for sharing :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time - knew there would be more machines coming back with you.

Angie said...

Sounds like you had a perfect TOGA! Coming home with three machines - I'm jealous! I only ever came home with one - but I was flying, so that's my excuse!

Bonnie said...

Your happiness and joy really shines through this post. Excellent. So glad you found such joy with this event, people and machines. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

So, does that mean you adopted a couple more toys???? Sounds like FUN was had by all! Can't wait to see what you brought home.

Janet O. said...

Looks like an incredible event.
I am waiting to hear the story of how your machine mutliplied! : )

Sarah said...

What a great event. Looks and sounds like fun was had by all!

sunny said...

What a great list! Sounds like you had an amazing time.

Kevin the Quilter said...

How cool to be surrounded by so many like minded people with vintage machines! I am so glad you were able to meet Cheryl! She is awesome!

Missy Shay said...

I am so glad you had fun! I love TOGA's, they are so much fun!! I am going to the one in AR in Oct.

Gina said...

What a great event. I wish they had one near me so I could take mine. It was gifted to me by a gentleman I used to look after and I'm a bit scared to use it to be honest

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great blog post. Sew glad to have met you in person! Can't wait till next year. I'm supposed to be the 'organizer' next year. How funny that you showed my machines in 4 of your pictures.

WisePati said...

I was so glad to meet you! I am glad you had fun. Hope to see you again next year.

Scrappy quilter said...

Looks like a whole lot of fun. Great event!