Monday, September 01, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Have you seen any postings yet for the Around the World Blog Hop? The blogging world is a lot bigger than when I started way back in 2006! I tried to hop back through the links to find out who started this blog hop but could not find the source. I did however find a ton of "new" blogs I have never visited. The quilt blog world does indeed seem infinite. I guess you could say that I am "an elder" in the quilt blog world since I have been blogging for 8 years! 
Amy invited me to participate in this blog hop, and she wrote a wonderful post about her quilting adventure last week - click here to read it.
There are a few questions we are invited to answer as part of the blog hop...


1. What am I working on? 

I am working on hundreds of projects. Yep I am! I am a quiltaholic and admit that I enjoy my addiction. Quilting is a lifestyle for me, and I quilt every day if I possibly can.

My favorites are my scrappy projects - why use one piece of fabric when 56 will do?!?
I have several Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects in the works and one of my favorites that I'd like to finish one of these days is a collection of Knot blocks.


2. How does my work differ from others of its genre? 

I think my work might be different in terms of my love of all colours. I am just as happy using muted colours of civil war prints, or tiny pastel prints from 30's reproduction prints, and as I am using bright primary batiks
How I work might also be different from many others. I am most creative when I have lots of projects on the go and can work on whichever one suits my mood. I enjoy machine quilting just as much as hand quilting, and have at least one project ready to do any quilting I want to.  My favorite hand quilting finish so far is Journey of a Quilter.



Also, I LOVE miniature quilts and treadling on my 1901 Singer Treadle.







3. Why do I write/create what I do? 

I create and quilt and write because I can't NOT do it. 
Like I said... I am addicted! I stitch, I read about stitching, I dream about quilts, I travel to see quilts, I write my blog about quilts...
it's never-ending (I hope!)
I am very proud of my Slow Sunday Stitching ritual. I write each Sunday about my current hand stitching project, and have a link up for other hand stitchers. It's a wonderful day of celebrating our tradition of hand work and connecting with like-minded people.

To continue with the Around the World Blog Hop, I would like to encourage you to visit two other Canadian bloggers whom I have come to know through my love of quilting.
They will post next week on Monday to tell you more about themselves.
Gail the Cozy Quilter - Gail enjoys many of the same quilty things as I do and we were able to meet in real life and took a class together to learn how to sew the Indian Orange Peel quilt. I am hoping to visit her in September for an IOP work day... can't wait!
Cathy of Eagles' Wings Quilts - besides making her own great quilts, Cathy is a long-arm quilter who has quilted two of my big projects for me and did an excellent job.
This is one of my favorite quilts - Angel Solstice, that Cathy quilted for me.
Thanks for visiting and if you're looking for my usual Monday post, come back tomorrow and see what's on my design wall!

13 comments:

scraphappy said...

What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing a bit about your process. The blog world has gotten a lot bigger. What a great source for never ending inspiration!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful (!) post - thanks for sharing with us! I always enjoy my visits ...

The Cozy Quilter said...

Hi Kathy. Thoughtful reflections about your addiction, I mean hobby! I am pondering what I will say in my post next week. See you soon!

Chantal said...

I too hope your addiction is never-ending because I love coming here and read all about your projects. I am enjoying the Around the World Blog Hop. Thanks for sharing.

Me and My Stitches said...

Isn't it amazing what a small world it has become due to technology (which I have a love/hate relationship with!)? Love your quilts - Angel Solstice is really gorgeous. I think it's great to have a lot of projects so you always have something to work on that you are in the mood for!

Deanna W said...

I learn more about you each time I visit! Blogland is becoming larger and larger, I think one could spend all day in it but no sewing would get done!!! Keep up the great work and blog!

Janet O. said...

I thought I had a lot of projects in the works, but you win by a landslide.
I know I will always be treated to wonderful eye candy when I visit your blog, Kathy. And I give you a lot of the credit (or blame, at times) for my venture into the world of machine quilting. : )

karen said...

Of all the quilt blogs I read (too many!) yours is the one I can relate to the most. I too like all styles & all colors, & scrappy. Keep it up.

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautiful post. I loved hearing about your passion (addiction) for quilting. Wonderful!

Mary said...

You have been Blogging a little longer than I have. I'm glad I found you in the BlogWorld across the miles. You are just one of the Canadian Bloggers I follow. I can almost hear you saying "EH?"

margaret said...

good to learn more about you Kathy and I just love the journey of a quilter quilt

Kate said...

I always enjoy your posts because you do a bit of everything. You never know what your new projects are going to look like other than they are going to be gorgeous!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Fun post to read :) There was one going around before this titled Touring Through Blogland...I think it started with some home decor bloggers then hit the Home / Garden ones...so there's at least two versions going around but I think the questions are the same. They are always a fun post to read :)