Sunday, March 16, 2014

Slow Stitching Sunday

Thank you for all the advice and stories shared last Sunday about the Frixion pens. I was amazed at the variety of experiences that people have had with this product. I am happy with the pen so far, but time will tell if the marks really do come out for good.
I decided to use the pink thread for hand quilting the border cable on my Journey quilt. When my stitching improves, I would probably go with more of a contrasting colour, but I'm not confident enough to do that yet. Maybe on my next quilt! *wink*
I have been running 5 needles at once so I don't have to move the hoop as often. Can you see the needles in this photo? I have one needle with pink thread for each of the 4 cable lines, plus one needle with beige thread to stitch the edge together (which makes adding the binding much easier to apply once the quilting is finished).
So far, I have had two problems.

Problem #1:
With so many needles and threads in one area, I sometimes get mixed up and accidentally skip from one line to the other! Don't know if it shows up in this photo, but I have done this several times. I can decrease the probability of mixing up the threads by quilting two lines at once across the hoop, then going back and quilting with the remaining needles.


Problem #2:
Mr. Max, the crazy granddog loves to "help" me quilt. Whenever I pick up the quilting, there he is snuggling close, saying "I'll just hold this one for you Grandma".  
Can you see the thread in his mouth?!? So adorable!

Okay... now it's your turn.
What are you stitching by hand and what are you learning?
Please share your progress by posting a link to your blog post below.




15 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That little cutie is hyterical wanting to help you quilt! :)

Jill said...

Thanks for mentioning the tip on stitching the layers together on the edge. I just got to my border stitching (cable also) and your photo is beneficial.

Lesley said...

Your quilt is coming along so well! I use several needles too when I am hand quilting.

Deb A said...

I never would have thought to do a stitch on the edge! I always learn something from you Kathy! The multiple needles - no help from me sorry. The only thing I could suggest is pop them back a bit by the already done stitches and hook by the line they are working on. Hopefully out of your way so you can stitch with the others. Maybe some beeswax on the end so you don't get needle pricks?

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I always machine baste the very edge of my quilts before I hand quilt the borders. I find it keeps everything from over stretching and slipping. Sometimes when I have a lot of needles going I pull them out as I go and re-thread with my needle threader. It makes me double check where I am and where I am going. I love stitching cables, they always looks wonderful!

Sherrill said...

I don' know how you can get ANYTHING else done with that little face looking at you!!! LOL

Denise :) said...

Wow -- I would get so confused with more than one needle going! Your granddoggy is so cute, helping that way!! :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am hand quilting my Patchwork of the Crosses. I wish I could say I was learning something but I've been hand quilting for so long that I can't think of anything! I only use one needle though not like you do

Willow River Piecemakers said...

Really enjoying going thru the links! What a cute helper! I have one, too! Oscar, our shi-poo..loves when I sit and stitch!

Dasha said...

I have been doing a bit of my cross stitch in the evenings. Your little pup is just so cute.

Susan P said...

Have yet to try hand quilting. Maybe some day. You may have said in the past, but what breed dog is Mr. Max? He's so cute!

audrey said...

Working with several needles looks interesting, but I think I would make such a mess of it! Great to see what you're working on. That cable is looking great!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Max is an amazing quilter! I can only imagine the havoc my dog would do if she was allowed in my sewing room. I can totally relate to camouflaging hand quilting with matching thread.

margaret said...

Interesting to see a hoop, being quite new to quilting I have done some hand quilting on a small wall hanging but did not use a hoop,

Kate said...

That's a lot of needles to keep track of, but the quilting so far looks great.

Your hand stitching helper is definitely a cutie!