Sunday, October 06, 2013

Slow Stitching Sunday

Welcome to Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy's blog!
Pull up a chair, get out one of your projects, and stitch along with us.
I have been busy with binding lately. I finished a binding for a baby quilt that my sister made for her friend. I really like using the Ultra Thimble especially when I have been hand stitching so much that I have worn a hole in the top of my finger (ouch!)


I also helped a friend (no names to protect the innocent!) bind her king sized quilt. Rumour has it that I may have "forced" her to get the quilt done, and that may be partially true. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that I "strongly encouraged" her to finish the binding, and then I just started stitching it myself until she gave in, grabbed a needle and joined in the fun! 
I just love binding quilts and don't understand why other quilters procrastinate this job? 
I stitched on the sides of her quilt while she tacked down the corners the way she likes them done.  And before you knew it, we had a wonderful visit and she has a lovely finished quilt! 

Today I will be working on improving my applique stitches by sewing a few more pumpkin seed blocks. They are very relaxing to sew and I am still enjoying working on them.
And I found a really cute pattern to make a lovely Christmas project using this block - click here to see it.

What are you hand stitching today?
Link up your blog post below and share your project with us.







15 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh that table topper project is so pretty!

I was tying a Dresden Plate quilt this winter and about 3/4 of the way through I stopped tying and made myself do the binding. I knew if I saved the binding till last I'd put it off and off and off. This way I finished it :)

Kate said...

I don't mind hand stitching down the binding, it's wrestling the quilt at the sewing machine to get the binding sewn to the front that I often put off doing!

Have a very relaxing slow stitching Sunday.

Angie said...

Thanks for the pointer to the Christmas table topper! I have been searching just such a project to gift my mom for the holidays. Plus, I need one of those short and quick satisfaction projects right now!

Ellen said...

You are a true friend to help her get over the roadblock to finishing her quilt!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love binding too! Thanks for helping me start a new project. Love,love the table topper! Mine will be done in Christmas fabrics, perfect for underneath my ceramic Christmas tree, that my DH's grandmother made. Thanks!

Julie in GA said...

Finishing binding is not my favorite thing to do, but it feels so good when another quilt is finished!

Julie Cefalu said...

Thanks for linking to my Winter Seeds Table Topper, Kathy! Your applique is looking great!
Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

scraphappy said...

I do enjoy the binding part. It makes me wonder why I have two quilts waiting to be stitched down. Still loving the pumpkin seeds. Always nice to have handwork on hand.

Deb A said...

Ohhh I love that table topper! I'm going to have to make one for Christmas!
Binding is my favorite part - snuggling under the quilt and hand stitching that last bit down. The pinning and quilting are what hold me up as 2-4 quilts are currently waiting patiently at that stage for me.

Lyndsey said...

That's a very pretty table topper, I love the curve of the seeds.

Cathy said...

I love binding. I love your pumpkin seeds. I love the table topper pattern. I love good times with friends. Wish the few friends I have would even try to sew!

libbyquilter said...

that pattern that you linked us to is really CUTE~!!~

it's good to be back and i'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to with their slow stitching.

:-)
libbyQ

Denise :) said...

Sometimes we need friends who are "strong encouragers" to help us get off our ends and get busy!! Glad you can be such a friend!! :)

margaret said...

Love both the quilts, hand sewing is so relaxing I find.What a good idea the finger protector, I find my thimbles are either too small or too large so that would work a treat. Wonder when hand quilting what you do to protect the finger below, mine gets so sore but if I use a guard I cannot feel the needle, any advice please?

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the link to that cute orange peel topper. I really enjoyed hand stitching my peels so I may be willing to do more with them....

And, you like to sew binding down? I wish we lived closer together cause you could get me going on a big quilt sitting next to met right now!