Sunday, November 18, 2012

Slow Sunday Stitching

One of my jobs is working in counselling services at the local college. And one of the many blessings of this job, is the privilege of working with students from all over the world.
 This week I enjoyed seeing many of the Indian women on campus dressed in gorgeous saris as they celebrated Diwali, a Hindu festival also known as "festival of lights" to celebrate "the awareness of the inner light". 
(NB - These two photos are imported from Wikipedia)
On Thursday, because of the tradition of sharing sweets, one of my students brought in some Rasmalai to share with me (for a description and recipe - click here).  I must admit the sight of the treat was a little alarming, a white spongy blob floating in white sauce, but I sometimes I am brave, and I took a big little bite... much to my surprise, it was delicious! 


So today as I do some relaxing hand stitching/binding, I will be thinking about the students  I have met who are far far away from home, and who inspire me every day. And I'll be planning the two new adventures I added to my "bucket list" this week... I want to get a Henna tattoo and I want to wear a Patchwork Sari
Happy Dewali and Happy Slow Sunday Stitching!
Link up your blogpost and share what hand stitching project you are working on this week (and if you know anything about how to add a code to a blog button, can you email me?!?!)


6 comments:

Denise :) said...

I've always wanted to get a Henna tattoo, as well...they're very pretty! I hope I'm on to stitching binding in this coming week! :)

Deb A said...

I love reading your posts. I always seem to learn something. Love the button on the side for slow stitching sundays. I've been doing lots of slow stitching this week and it is very relaxing.

cajunquilter said...

Kathy, I would love to put the Slow Stitching Sunday button on my blog. Can you tell me how to do it please?

Janet O. said...

When I was young my Dad worked with the "Foreign Student Union" group on the local university campus. I remember celebrating the Chinese New Year with them and various Indian and Thai celebrations, to name a few. Loved the cultural insights.

Cathy said...

I love the colours in the quilt you are binding. Sadly, no hand stitching for me at all this past week.

Teresa in Music City said...

What a great experience! It is always so interesting to learn more about other cultures and their ways :*) I hope you enjoyed slow stitching today... I went to a football game with family so no stitching today, but hopefully tomorrow!

Love your cute little button - let us know when you get it active! I have no idea how to do it - probably why I don't have one :*) Karen over at Sew Many Ways has a tab for blogger tips and you might find some good info there...? Her tips have helped me many times!