Saturday, July 28, 2012

Scrappy Saturday - End of the Blues!

I cannot believe that July has gone by so fast!
This is the last week for blue scraps with the Rainbow Challenge, and I have finished my blue scrappy paper pieced leaf block. The pattern is called "Red Herring", but it looks like a palm leaf to me (I've never seen a real palm tree, so I'm guessing!).
***Hey...go look at Deb's blogpost today with a photo of her real palm tree! Don't you think it looks exactly like my block!??!
Each block takes 14 coloured strips and I am happy with how they are turning out.

Here are my purple and blue blocks together.  I think I will sew a border around each block using the light background fabric. I am already getting ideas for how to quilt this project, and I've only sewn 2 blocks so far!!
Hop over to SoScrappy and see what other blue blocks and quilts are being built!

17 comments:

Deb A said...

The blue block looks great! Shall I go out and take a picture of a palm tree for you? I have a baby one in the front yard. I probably won't post mine until later this afternoon though.

Amy said...

LOL at your palm tree comment. I also hasn't seen one (only in pictures).
Anyhoo.....GREAT blocks! Those are so neat; I've never seen anything like them before.
And...yeah......where DID July go???

Unknown said...

I just love your colors! This is going to be a wonderful quilt!! Can't wait to see more!!

scraphappy said...

Such a great pattern! The white just makes it all pop. We full of palm trees around here. It used to seem exotic and strange when we first moved, but it is amazing what starts to seem normal after a while.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Have you ever counted all your UFO's, Kathy? I love this project in progress! This block reminds me of a palm frond as well. Have a great day! Sorry you could not come on Thursday but you can see pictures of what you missed on my blog.

Gail

Kate said...

Very pretty!

Janet O. said...

We don't live in a palm tree climate, but DH's cousin has a palm tree in his yard. During the winter he encloses it in a special insulated box of his own creation. He has had it a few years and so far, so good. I wonder how tall it will get?
I love these blocks. Such a fun graphic design--and I think the blue and purple look luscious together! : )

Darlene said...

Yep, definitely looks like a palm leaf; I seem them every day. LOL Fabulous block.

Will you be 'crying the blues' when you've finished? Sorry couldn't resist. LOL

Sheila said...

You know, it does kinda look like a leaf, maybe a palm leaf. I love this block pattern.

Kristy QP said...

Loving your blocks! They are looking so fantastic!

It definitely looks like a palm frond or a closeup of a leaf. Love that this block can have different interpretations!

*karendianne. said...

Luscious and savory!

Cathy Tomm said...

They look so cool. Shady kind of cool too.

Angie said...

These blocks are so striking - looking forward to the finished quilt!

Edith said...

Oh Kathy, these are so pretty.

Ellen said...

Great blocks...I love the blue and purple together.

Elly D said...

They look delicious Kathy and yes they look like palms to me ;) Elly

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful Kathy! I'm seeing a rainbow quilt made with these great blocks!!