Friday, June 22, 2012

A Mid Month Finish

When I teach a miniature class, I always start with making 9 patch blocks to deal with seam allowance issues right at the beginning. If the students want to donate their test blocks, I sew up a scrappy quilt and give it back to the guild for a raffle or whatever they want to use it for. This mini quilt is made from the Grand Quilt Guild students' blocks. I will always remember this class because it was very challenging for me...I had just got my braces on and was in a lot of pain, and the ladies were so kind, patient and caring.
As you can imagine with little 3" blocks made from so many different sewers, it is a challenge sometimes to get the seams to match up and for the top to lay flat. It is a little wonky in spots, so I decided to do a wobbly line quilting design to distract your eye from the other wobbly parts, and I think it worked just great!

I will soon mail it off to the guild, but for now I am enjoying it hanging on my studio wall. It looks perfect here on my sunny yellow walls!
Want to see what other quilters have accomplished this week? Hop over to Confessions of a Fabric Addict!

11 comments:

Pattilou said...

The quilt looks lovely in its combined effort. Little blocks do make such pretty quilts.

scraphappy said...

Lovely little nine patches. The quilting complements the blocks just perfectly.

Kat said...

I love your "wobbly line" idea to hide the wobbly seams. Good luck with the braces... I got them at age 31 (had them almost 3 years), so I know what a challenge they can be!

Janet O. said...

This little scrappy number makes me smile. I think the quilting fits it well!
Is that "definition" on your studio wall, or did you impose it on the image? I love the idea!

Darlene said...

Love this little quilt, Kathy. Great use of blocks from your students. The quilting is perfect.

Linda said...

What a gorgeous little quilt!!

Deb A said...

I didn't notice any mismatches. It just looks so darn cute to me! Love the squiggly line quilting.

McIrish Annie said...

I love the wobbly quilting lines. I may adopt that for some of my own "wobbly" quilts. What a nice gesture to make the quilt and send it back to the guild.

Mary said...

nice finish, Kathie. I remember when you posted that class with all the ladies. Hope the braces aren't hurting as bad now that they've been on a while.

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful little quilt, Kathy, and I love that squiggly line quilting!! Whoop whoop!!

Lori said...

Planned wobbles!!