Tuesday, August 30, 2011

UFO Machine Quilting

In every spare moment this past week, I have been quilting my spiderweb quilt. I am using a 100 needle and not getting any thread breakage, but I am getting lots of "toe catcher" stitches due to missed stitches! It looks terrible close up (seems to be the theme of this quilt!) but I plan to just keep going anyway.
The free motion circle quilting in these blocks has worked really well to smash down the lumps and flatten out the quilt top.
I decided to just echo quilt the muslin stars and may add something in the centre of them later.



Now onto one of my favorite parts... feather quilting in the borders. I have already stitched the spine all around and am working on the feathers (P.S.  I am teaching 2 classes on feather quilting at Triangle Sewing on Oct. 22 and Jan 21 if any of my local readers would like to learn my tricks)

8 comments:

AnnieO said...

OOo, I hate those toe-catchers! Looking good, Kathy--just love all the scrappy fun in these spiderwebs. I'd like some tricks for feathers, please, but live a bit far away to come to your classes, lol!

Cathy said...

It's looking really, really good, even with toe catchers.

Mary said...

I love doing Feathers! They are so forgiving and make the border more like a FRAME! Please share some tips on your Blog for us FAR-AWAY friends!

Karen said...

I have never heard of a "100" needle. Is it a special machine quilting needle?

Diane said...

way to go!

Greenmare said...

ooo I would love to take your classes, but I think the travel is prohibitive for me. sigh.

scraphappy said...

Bummer about the missed stitches, Still the overall effect will be awesome, especially with the cool feathers in the border.

Ellen said...

I think you have a wonderful plan for the quilting. I am also very often frustrated by missed stitches and I don't know why it happens or how to prevent it.