Monday, May 09, 2011

Design Wall Monday #19

I can't believe that a new project is on my design wall today! Didn't I say I wasn't going to start anything new?!? I wanted to tackle my pink scraps and my May UFO, but there were 2 shop hops in my neck of the woods this weekend and that's my excuse!  It's so annoying that both shop hops are on the same weekend, because I couldn't get any time off work, and I missed out on one hop completely.
I went with my friend Louise to the Goose on the Loose shop hop, which we have been attending for years. Last year it was snowing, so this year we were happy to have a sunny day and see some flowers blooming along the way.
Here is Louise winning a gift bag at Cobwebs and Caviar - isn't this a gorgeous photo of their shop?!?

We really enjoyed the demos in each store and I plan to try the new techniques they showed us... which I guess means that there will be 4 new projects!?!
One of the things I bought (besides a little bit of fabric!) was a Lil' Twister ruler. I saw lots of these quilts on blogs last year, but hadn't seen the ruler until this weekend. I bought an older charm pack called Aster Manor to experiment with and sewed together this little quilt top as soon as I got home. Today I went to work with the twister ruler and this is what is on my design wall... three rows assembled and I'm still cutting out blocks.  Very fun! I wish I would have put all the solid charm squares in the quilt to give it more contrast, but it's my first one, so now I know. Do you notice how much it shrinks down in size from the original pieced quilt to the finished pinwheels?
I just love the Robert Kaufman Quilter's Linen that I bought for the border and can't wait to finish the project.

For more inspiration, hop over to Patchwork Times and see what other quilt bloggers are working on.

14 comments:

Sharie - Moss Bluff said...

Kathy, Your twister quilt will be very interesting when it is finished. I love the Astor Manor fabric. I have a quilt started (what's new) using that line of fabric. I will get it finished eventually, I just have to live long enough.

Bonnie said...

I have a little twister planned in my future. I need to look at my already cut squares and just do it. Yours turned out great. I'm going to be looking for the Kaufman Quilter's Linen... it sound like it is a great go with type fabric.

Chris said...

Love it. I love the fabrics you picked up. I can see why you wanted to play right away :)

The Cozy Quilter said...

I worked on one of these twisters on the weekend too! Mine is a table runner and I just need to add one more border and quilt and bind it. I hope to have it done before Thursday night's guild meeting. I love the colours in your new project. It is soooooo hard to resist the magnetism of new fabric! sigh!

Mary said...

I bought the little one at the QuiltShow in March and have the bigger one now too. I haven't even taken them out of the pkg yet. I have charm packs just waiting to be used for a Twister quilt. Your's looks good, I have been waiting until I get a few other projects off my design Wall at home. I'm a little afraid to mix those twister blocks up. Good Luck!

Dee said...

Your twister quilt is going to be beautiful! Funny enough, I just bought the same ruler on Saturday and am eager to make my own.

Dresden Quilter said...

It looks fabulous! I wanted to buy the larger Twister but it was out of stock when I went to the quilt store a few weeks ago. I will have to try again.

Diane said...

oh love the aster manor line! I've only made a small runner w/the twister.
I'm still trying but close to giving up on the notion of not starting new things...it's so Dang difficult. If only to figure out a way to FINISH more or something like that. :)
Our big local shop hop is in June. I can't wait, so much fun.

Nina Marie said...

Well, all I can say is that I'm in the same boat - there's a new project on my design wall and my UFO list just got a little longer - sighhhhhhh!!! Great start and you're in good company!

Barb in Mi said...

This Twister ruler is incredible - your new quilt top looks fabulous!

Kate said...

Great project. Wonderful colors. Who can blame you for playing!

AnnieO said...

I've wanted to try that twister too! Fun play is hard to resist :)

Ellen said...

I love it when I am so excited about working on a project and I just can't resist it! The results from the twister ruler look amazing.

LuAnn said...

I love the Lil Twister quilt. I think they are a nice center for a bigger quilt or would make a cute baby gift with just a border. Love the fabrics you've used.