Saturday, December 04, 2010

Some Saturday Sewing

I had another frustrating try with my circle project, and had another bad experience with the Cut-a-round ruler. (You can read about the first episode here, but it's the same as today's!) Perhaps the issue is that I am trying to make the circles too small and this tool is not good for that size.? When I calm down, I'll maybe try it for the third time with the larger size. I just hate to give up on it since it was quite an expensive ruler and I'm making a circle themed quilt, and it's just frustrating that I can't get it to co-operate with me (or me with it?)

Then I decided to use my quilting time for some relaxing sewing (while I ruminate about the next step for my circle SAHR, the IOP plan, and the Christmas to-do list) and all that thinking gave me lots of time to finish up my guild mystery sampler blocks for this month. I am doing 2 samplers...one in browns and one in scrappy brights and am amazed at how my pile of scraps is getting used up!

These are the December blocks #7 and #8 in the two colourways.

These are all the brown blocks so far...4 more to sew and then the sashing and borders! My plan on this is to finish the blocks for the 2 samples by the end of the year, so that I can start a new 2011 block sampler using the new 100 blocks magazine!


And lucky me...since I am getting low on scraps, Becky sent me some of hers! I won a draw on her blog and these scraps arrived yesterday...look at these treasures! I've already sorted them into the string bin, the bright scraps, ...don't you love other people's scraps?!?
Thanks Becky for sharing!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Like your BOM blocks. I'm more partial to bright colors, but the browns look great too.

Yvette said...

I love all those blocks!

Nan S. said...

I'm not familiar with the ruler you're using, but I made a circle quilt recently using the Olfa Circle Cutter (not the scrapbook one, the fabric one). It was SOOO easy to use, and my quilt turned out great. I did not turn the edges under or use fusible, but just used a small zigzag stitch to attach the circles to the background. There was a great tutorial at makeitawonderfullife.blogspot.com . I believe the link is on the left sidebar of her blog. I think the ruler cost about $12 on sale at my local Hancock's.