Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Layer Cake Quilt Along

I decided once I found the perfect layer cake that I would join the Layer Cake Quilt Along. I had been able to resist starting another new quilt project until I found the Happy Cake and just knew that resistance was futile!

I was able to add a link for the Quilt Along on the right side of my blog...which is quite a technological accomplishment for me!  (Just click on the "button" and it will take you to the website)



Then I opened up the cake and started working on block #1 designed by Gene Black. He put a circle in the centre of his block, but I thought a flower might be better for my happy block.
Because I didn't have my sewing machine with me that does a zigzag or buttonhole stitch, I had to free motion the edge of the flower, which turned into a bit of a disaster  piece of lovely fiber art.

Block #2 is already posted, but I won't have time to work on it this week...too much machine quilting to do.

7 comments:

Zlaty said...

I love the colors in your block! Very happy fabric!

Happy sewing! :)

Judy D in WA said...

Love the fabrics in this block! Your flower is perfect, after the quilt is washed, it will bloom. :) I couldn't resist either! Darn these quilt alongs, distracting us from our other plans. ;)

Becky said...

Oh, Kathy, your block looks great! I love this fabric line. I'm printing out the directions, but I'm not sure when I'll get to begin.

Kate said...

Love your bright happy block and the fiber art flower.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

LOVE that happy block Kathy! Looking forward to seeing you again next week! I'm hoping to take along my little mini quilts that I made in your workshop in Hamilton 5? or 6? years ago? That was a really fun workshop :-).

Jacqui

Janet said...

I love the Happy line, so bright. Your block turned out really nice with the flower in the center.

Gari in AL said...

Love your block. These quilt-a-longs can be seductive, can't they>