Monday, March 08, 2010

Design Wall Monday #10

It is Design Wall Monday over at Judy's blog and this is my 10th posting this year! It's a great way to keep myself on track with projects and keep motivated to move projects along.
This project is a perfect example.
I received a UFO bag at my guild meeting in February and posted the first photo on a Design Wall Monday on Feb. 15th.
The first step was organizing all the pieces and figuring out what the blocks in the design were and how much fabric was with the project.
These are the piles I sorted out and then started doing some calculations on how many blocks the quilt still needed and how big the quilt could become with the available fabric.
The next step was starting to piece the required blocks and I posted that step on last week's Design Wall Monday post.
I worked on this project at retreat and recently sewed on the borders so that I could bring it to my UFO group to show the quilt owner. I used up almost every bit of fabric and hope to be able to squeak out enough from the scraps for the binding.
And now I can post on this week's Design Wall Monday...a finished top!

24 comments:

Debby Brown said...

WooHoo! A finished top is a wonderful thing. I usually get stopped at the borders.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

wow! that is totally awesome that you figured out the *puzzle* and completed it to the top stage! very impressive :)

Judy D in WA said...

Wow Kathy, I went back and looked at the pile of pieces and WOW! You did good. Did you know this is what it was meant be or is this what you came up with from the pieces? Either way, I love it.

Linda said...

That is a beautiful quilt - how could anyone give it up?

Ivani said...

YEASSSSS! This top looks great. You did a wonderfull job studying all the pieces and make such a beautiful quilt. Congrats. Hugs

Darlene said...

Oh, Kathy, I love it. It's fabulous!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Congratulations!~ its lovely! :-) I may be a little biased though~ I love stars!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!

swooze said...

Awesome!

Susan said...

I just love it when a quilt comes together..

Denise :) said...

That really is beautiful; lots of eye interest! :)

Heather said...

oh wow, that looks great.

Mary said...

Good for you to finish a top. Now how will it be quilted? Do you have to give it back to the owner? Sounds like a fun swap to try at Guild. I'll put that in our suggestion box.

scrappy nanna said...

Very pretty quilt...
Hey missed you the other Saturday for your sampler day...you thought no one noticed.

Northern Blog Stalker!!
D

Teaquilts said...

Great job Kathy. I really like it and am waiting to see what the UFO group think of it.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow - very pretty :o)

KatieQ said...

I went back to look at the original pile this quilt started as. You must be the Sherlock Holmes of quilters. You really managed to pull it together in a short amount of time. The quilt looks great. I hope you don't have to give it back to the original owner.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog.

Mary Johnson said...

I'm so impressed - one of the reasons I've tried to force myself to stop putting a top aside before it's finished is that it's so hard to go back and restart it -- and you've done and done it with someone else's UFO.

This looks great!

Candace said...

It may have been a puzzle, but you solved it beautifully. The original lady picked some lovely fabrics, too. I love the top.

Diane said...

Congrats on the finish, I agree DWMondays help keep me on track too. I love the color palette of your quilt, scrumptious!

Joan said...

Kathy - thats beautiful!

Rhonda said...

OMG, Kathy...that quilt is stunning...as you went along over the past few weeks, I wasn't really understanding the process but now...duh....I get it. Fantastic job!!!!
Take care.

Brenda said...

That is one BEAUTIFUL QUILT!!!!!! You have done a fantastic job on this project - absoulutly beautiful!!!

Ginger Patches said...

Oh wow that is gorgeous! Who gets to keep it? I must have missed your post on how it works. What a great way to get ufo's finished.