Monday, February 22, 2010

Design Wall Monday #8

I am planning for my upcoming quilting retreat...woohoo! I have been cleaning cupboards and trying to get myself more organized so that I can pack up a month's worth of projects (to finish in 2 days) and everything I might ever need to work on all those projects...I'm sure you know how that goes!
I even dug to the back of the closet and found a UFO that I worked on at the 2007 retreat and I hope to make lots of progress on that this year.
At last year's retreat, I took 14 projects, finished 4, made progress on 2, started 1 (you always have to start something new, right???) and 6 projects did not even get opened! I will try to me more sensible this year and make more realistic goals.
Last year at retreat I machine quilted my Orange Crush quilt, and this year I am forcing myself to quilt my Carolina Crossroads. I finished the piecing at retreat in 2008 - yes, 2 years ago and it has been waiting patiently ever since, so now it's finally ready to be quilted.
This weekend I pieced the backing for the quilt, using up lots of my black and white stash. In this photo it sure looks like there is a blue fabric in there. I'll have to check that tomorrow in the daylight...not that it really matters since I'm not taking it out now! This took me hours to cut and piece, and made me really want to buy wide backings again :) But I recognize the value in cleaning up the stash by making these pieced backings.
Now I just have to baste the quilt and find some thread, and I'm ready to pack up for retreat.

16 comments:

Darlene said...

Packing for a retreat is so much fun. You have to pack 14+ projects afterall what would you do if you didn't have enough to do? And, you need options. LOL Just relax, pack and enjoy.

Diane said...

Oh I hear you on taking too many things on retreat. I do the same going on vacation. (I took 6 books to the beach...my husband thought I was nuts) He was right, I only read 2! :)
And I relate to the pieced backings...I was doing really well making them from my stash but yesterday I just went and bought wide backing, sometimes easier is ok too--right? :)

SpinningStar said...

When I went to retreat last year, I even wrote out a list of things I would possibly need and then packed.

I pulled out a bunch of projects to work on, looked at them for a week or so and then only took half of them. I wanted a choice in case I got bored and then worked only on the class project and got it finished, or at least the top done.

Liz

Judy D in WA said...

I think we all have the fear of running out of projects at a retreat! Or we are delusional and think we can get them all done. ;)
I love pieced backs but like Diane, sometimes I just want something easy.

Karen S said...

Have fun at that retreat -- I always take a ton of stuff too -- you never know just what you'll want to work on.

Brenda said...

At the only retreat I went on, I was happy to have finished the one project I brought, got the top finished anyway - it came in pieces and I was very happy to have it a top when I left!! You are ambitious!!!! And, good for you!!! Keep up that energy and get these things done!! it does not matter how long they have been waiting to be pulled out again, the beauty of it is, they wait till your ready for them again!!!!

have a fantatic time at the retreat!!!!

Mary said...

You will be on Retreat for a month? Sounds fun... Great to use up the stash while finishing the UFO's. Have fun choosing your projects!

Paula, the quilter said...

I have a retreat in March that I'm trying to figure out what to take. I do not take machine quilting, ever, because there is just not room and I really like my ergonomic set up at home. I am going to take a hand embroidery BOM, a hand applique BOM, my (hand) knitting and my strings buckets. I like hand work for retreats and mindless sewing. No design wall, 'cause I travel as light as I can. Enjoy your retreat

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Sounds like a fun time ahead! I always take too much to retreats, my friend even takes her extra sewing machine~ just in case! LOL We look like we are headed away for months instead of days. ;-)

Teaquilts said...

Kathy I just got back from retreat and had a ball. Hope you do too. I took 5 projects. I worked on them all a little to get them all further along.

julieQ said...

Anticipation! I hope you have a wonderful time...Love the scrappy backing!

scraphappy said...

It sounds like you are ready to get lots done on your retreat. Pieced backings are so much fun and a great chance to use up lots of yardage! As much as it easier buy an extra wide backing, it is also easier to buy a finished bedspread, but not nearly as much fun!

Barb in Mi said...

You are so close to finishing your Carolina Crossroads - and it's beautiful! Crossing my fingers that you'll get it done at the retreat... one UFO less and a great quilt (maybe) for you?

Bonnie said...

Kathy -- love your new look. How long ago did you change? It's very clean looking and easy to read. I usually keep up with you on Google Reader so haven't actually clicked to your site for a while.

Of course you need to take way more projects than you ever think you will do. This may be the one time you get 1) bored with the current project. 2) finished with LOTS of stuff. 3) Have a friend who would love to piece for you (or sew binding or ...) You get the idea.

Have fun on retreat!

swooze said...

Now you know 7 is your minimum. And you need at least 3 or 4 extras so you have options...so 14 sounds about right! LOL!

Ginger Patches said...

Have fun!!! Don't feel bad about the Crossroads...mine is not even put into rows yet! I did have it all on my design wall at one point, but I somehow misplaced my corners and can't find my instructions to re-make them so there it sits :( I can't wait to hear all about it!!