Thursday, August 13, 2009

Quick Quilting Diversion


I am still quilting every day on my DD and starting to feel a little excited about approaching the binding stage...almost to the end of the marathon! I used a variation of the design that I quilted on the 9 patch blocks (see the 9 patch here) in each of the 18 setting triangles and the 4 corner setting triangles. Each step of this quilting has been quite labour intensive and I needed an easy and fun project to break up this quilting, so I worked on a quick gift for a friend. 
I painted this fabric using the Setacolor paints, which I love but are getting harder to find to purchase. I used foam flowers on the right side and set it outside to sunprint while it dries. The gold highlights don't show up well in the photos, but I was very happy with how it turned out.
Then I sandwiched it with a piece of warm and natural batting and outlined stitched the 11  flowers, then did some swirly curly stitching. It was fun fun fun..just what the quilting Dr. ordered for 
a quilting "pick me up"! Here is how it looks on the back. Now I think I'll do a little beading and finish it up. 


7 comments:

Darlene said...

Sweet, Kathy!

Rhonda said...

Hi Kathy, sorry I hadn't popped in lately but I'm back. I like what you're doing!!!!!

Tanya said...

I've never heard of sunprinting but you have me very intersted! What wonderful fabric! I love the colors and your quilting! Fantastic!

Gina said...

What a great little project. I love the colours you used for it

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a great little project. It's nice to finish something small and get instant results.

Quirky said...

That looks like so much fun! What a fantastic way to spend an afternoon!

Greenmare said...

oh I love it!!!!! sooooooooooooo fabulous! the quilting "dr" was right on!!!