Friday, July 17, 2009

Paper Piecing challenge

To relax after my family camping "holiday", I have been working on the latest Paper Panache mystery block and it is a doozie! If you're a regular blog reader you know that I really enjoy paper piecing, and try to sew as many of the mystery blocks from Paper Panache as possible.  You can see some of the other mystery blocks I have sewn here.  I love the combination of paper piecing and mystery
However, I always make the same mistakes at least once per sewing session. It's an annoying little habit that I can't seem to break no matter how much I concentrate. 

 I always get at least one folded over seam, and I place the fabric piece I am attaching on the wrong side. So now, I just accept my mistakes and say to myself  "oh good, I got that mistake out of the way now" and carry on...."accept the things you cannot change"!!

*Mystery spoiler* coming up...if you don't want to see the latest paper panache mystery block don't keep reading!  Here are my pieces all sewn and trimmed. Some of these little tiny pieces were really labour intensive. I figure that it took me between 6 and 7 hours to get the block to this stage.
So what is it!?! It is a fish of some sort. Not being a fisherwoman, I don't know if this is a real kind of fish or not...looks like a flying geese fish to me! I wish I would have sewn my fish in bright colours with a blue background, but I followed the colours recommended on the pattern. Anyway, here is my flying geese fish...she seems to be yelling "I've had enough of 'holidays' with 10 children and I want some quiet time to sew"!
If you want to get this pattern, you can buy it over at Paper Panache - click here.

13 comments:

Karen said...

I don't do much paper piecing. I do like your fish!

Vicki W said...

I've never heard of Paper Panache before. The blocks are awesome!

quiltmom anna said...

Fantastic fish Kathy- you did a beautiful job of it.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Anna

Bonnie said...

I have saved Paper Panache's mysteries for years. I don't think I've ever made any of them! At least not until they had been revealed. I need to make sure I have this lovely fish. You did an excellent job.

Jean said...

That is awesome, you have way more patience than I do. lol

Tanya said...

Ooh! Love your fish! I have done paper piecing mysteries with Paper Panache and had a great time doing them. I've even ordered a couple of the patterns. One mystery though I completely messed up and so have been afraid to try again. The fish is tempting though...

Fiber Babble said...

LOVE it! It's been a long time since I've done any Paper Panache mysteries (like YEARS) - but I'm loving the fish.

Of course, you make everything look so great with your color choices!

chammer1 said...

Your fish is really terrific....I love it!!! For some reason paper piecing intimidates me and I haven't tried it yet. So...... I'm jealous of those who can do it. I'm impressed with all those little pieces...you are the bomb!
~Cheryl

Diana LaMarre said...

I have been waiting to find someone who did this block. I have not started it because it was so labor intensive and I wanted to make sure I liked it before I wasted all that time.

Now that I have seen how cute it is, I will have to do it.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow that is just amazing....fantastic work Kathy..

SueR said...

I've followed the Paper Panache website for years, as I also love paper piecing. Beautiful job on the fish. Oh wait, I just read the rest of the comments. Ditto what Bonnie said!

The Collard Patch said...

That's a big mouth bass, beautiful work.

qm said...

wow, what a beauty.