Friday, February 27, 2009

Back from retreat

I am home from my quilting retreat...exhausted but happy! Today I feel disappointed in my progress, since I had high hopes for accomplishing my goals. As with everything I do, I try to fit in more than is humanly possible, and I packed my car with 14 projects! I take a lot of ribbing from my friends about my obsession, especially since we have someone at retreat (Sue) who brings ONE project and works on it until it is done! Say what?!?!
This is the tally:
14 projects taken to retreat
4 small projects were finished (3 mini quilts and one quilt block challenge sewn)
2 other projects were worked on and some progress was made
1 quilt was started (I HAD to start something new, right?!?)
6 project boxes/bags were not even opened and 1 bag didn't even make it out of the car into the retreat centre

This is NOT the reason why! This was a totally contrived shot and I was innocently working away on my block trimming when this alcohol was placed on my table!
Over the next couple of days I will show you the projects I worked on, but today I will share the two new things I remembered about myself.
One is that I definately like variety - "variety is the spice of life" right? My friends decided I am a Spice Girl....my new nickname is "Mini Spice". This seems much funnier at midnight than it does on the blog page!! I like to work on lots of things at once, and have each project in every stage of development. I cut a little, sew a little, make one block, press a little, etc. I never
complete one stage and then move on to the next stage. Exhibit A - this is my scrappy flying geese UFO that I inherited from my friend Liz (see this post). I have a bag of pieces untouched, and the following piles... sewn HST's, pressed HST's, trimmed HST's, flying geese sewn, 2 geese sewn together and 3 geese sewn together. Overall at this point, still a big mess!
The second thing I remembered is that I HATE when retreat is over! Here is a photo taken of me at 1:50 pm (retreat ends at 2 pm). Everyone else is packed up or gone and I am still trimming blocks. However, once the friends leave, it's really not as much fun!

No comments: