Thursday, January 08, 2009

Mystery Quilt Step Two

Yahoo...we are connected to the internet again! My husband, bless his heart, has spent many frustrating hours working on this problem and although the wireless system isn't working and he can't work at home, at least I can now check in with my favorite quilt blogs and update mine. After all, quilting activities are the most important computer functions, aren't they??!!
I am working slowly on my Double Delight mystery. It occurred to me that I cook stews and soups in much the same way as I make a quilt. I just keep adding a little more of this and a touch of that as I feel like it. I was getting bored with my selection of pinks and lights, so I dug around in the stash and found a few more pieces to include. Some are small scraps but will add a bit of interest to the quilt overall.
I was also bored with sewing these square in a square blocks. So I have blocks on the go at each stage - some have one triangle on, some have two, some have three and some are ready for trimming. This is a typical scene at my sewing machine. I have had trouble with my wrists with all the trimming (240 blocks to trim!) so as soon as I get 10 blocks with all four triangles on, I stop sewing and trim those blocks. Trimming a few blocks at a time has helped with the wrist pain. Thanks to Sara for this suggestion!
I hope to be able to move on to the next step on the weekend.
Watch for a 300 blog posts celebration giveaway!!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Keep plugging away! I can't wait to see it.

Annie said...

I like your color selection. I haven't started mine yet. Still in the "trying to decide if I want to do it" mode!!!

Katie said...

Ooooo. I love your fabrics. I've finished step 1 but don't have any pictures yet.

Jean said...

Those look nice. That quilt has a lot of those little blocks. Whew!!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Glad your wrist is better! I work in chunks like that too, as I get tired of sewing the same thing over and over.

Andee said...

I like these two fabrics together too! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

MAMACRAFTY said...

I am starting on my step 2! I will be posting a pix of bloks one. I like how you also changed the colors. This is a really cute pattern! I am sure your quilt is going to be stunning!

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy,
thank you for your kind words....yes I will do the dd mystery (not a mystery anymore)! just need to finish up the orange crush quilt...top is complete!!!! Hooray! I love your colors for the DD...they are beautiful...I am thinking of using pinks, bright cheery yellows, lavender and some white/whites....along with the indigos....I like a high contrast and not sure that I have been doing that with the last quilts...the CC was for my ds and the OC for dd; this one is for me...oh, by the way, I am working on the OTR as well...just could not wrap my brain around doing all those pinwheel blocks at once...so I will probably finish the DD and still have pinwheels to make...lol...talk to you soon!
hugz
Pam

MAMACRAFTY said...

Worked on my DD this past week. I think I finally made enough 9 patch's. I can't wait to see how your DD turns out. I like your colors!